By Rady Mom
Special to The Sun

Coming here today is just like coming home to family. Middlesex Community College is my loving second family that gave me my confidence and will to succeed as a young immigrant in Lowell. To me, Middlesex Community College is the community.
In 1982, I immigrated to the United States to arrive in the frigid climate of Duluth, Minn. As a very scared 12-year-old who spoke not a word of English, I was lucky to have escaped the Killing Fields of Cambodia and still have some of my family intact. War-torn Cambodia lost over 1.5 million of its citizens, in the Khmer Rouge genocide of the 1970s.
It was a horror and nightmare that can never be forgotten. We are so thankful to the United States, and Lowell, for providing us with safety and the opportunity for a new life. For this, I truly say "God Bless America" in all its ways with its many leaders and citizens.
I am living the American dream. And each of you graduating today shares that precious dream with me. As you receive your diploma, you are taking a shining step forward, forging the courage and skills necessary to implement your own path to success.
America provides opportunity like nowhere else in the world. However, it is up to us to search and recognize that opportunity even in hard times and failure.
You must always keep moving, keep looking forward, and to keep faith in your own ability to succeed.